[Shotimes] Re: Was ? Now Abuse?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 11:56:06 -0400

Personally, I hardly view the Forum or the Delphi Forum as being
representative of anything, except a lot of young folks buying old cars
because they are cheap, then not having the experience/money/both to
maintain them properly......or to know that they should not have bought that
particular car in the first place. Just observing their results does not
explain the processes of how they got there. The term "delayed maintenance"
comes to mind.

I still didn't have issues with my '89 with well over 150K miles. The car
was maintained properly. Sure, at some point stuff is gonna wear out/break,
but drag racing, autocross, or track work do not kill the car.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of sho2go
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 1:32 AM
To: 'shotimes'
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Re: Was ? Now Abuse?

RP:Sorry, I totally disagree, and I respectfully submit that your comments
are
based on false assumptions and ill-informed rumors.

MT: Disagree, your right.  False assumptions and rumors, dead wrong.  Look
on the forum: post after post is about how to fix something broken.  My cars
(both) just keep trucking.

RP:Yeah, if you drive like grandma, I guess you would view dragstrip use as
"abuse". I have never "dropped" the clutch in a SHO, and my dragstrip starts
are the only thing that might be slightly different than my street starts
(in as I don't spin the wheels that much on a street start). Shifting is NO
different.

MT:Drive like a grandma?  A little resume: former SCCA member, hot laps on
the Nurburgring; Alaska-Canada road rallye (twice), 10 years ice racing in a
240Z highly modified and a SAAB Sonnet turboed (scary fast),  4 years dirt
track, some Riverside Raceway experience.  None of those cars included a
Taurus, though.  As for your street and strip techniques being the same, I'm
speechless ..........

RP:These cars are OLD!!!!!! Trannies/diffs dying, etc at over 150K miles
and/or
more than 7-8 years of age are to be expected!! Those of us who bought new
Shos in the early days, and drove the snot out of them, did not have these
issues when the cars were 5 years old or newer.

MT: Exactly my point!!!  Going on 8-13 years .