[Shotimes] OT - Ill Twister almost gets Four GTO's

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 17:20:23 -0500

A good friend of mine got VERY lucky last night here in
central Illinois.  As they were eating supper, they heard
the wind kick up and sirens go off.  They decided to get to
the basement.  They estimate they had no more than four (4)
SECONDS after they got to an internal basement hallway than
their house "popped" and stuff went flying.

They are OK, but a bedroom is mostly gone, room severely
damaged.

Out side several trees are gone, a shed destroyed, a brand
new horse trailer severely damaged and a tree went through a
nice new (to them) used pickup, totalling it. Another older
car outside was also totalled Their horses are all OK, this
is a nice thing because last year at this time, they lost a
prize horse to lightning.

My friend has four nice GTO's (64 convertible, 65,66 and 67
hardtops) all in very good shape with tri-power (67
converted for those that keep track of details). and they
escaped without damage.

THey are a bit shook up.

A young friend of ours brought his family over from a
neighboring town where they lived in a trailer park! They
spent most of the evening in our basement. I had never seen
two kids (about 12 years old) so shook up in my life.  One
seemed in shock and the other was in a total panic.  They
had heard sirens, then got a call from the father (our
friend) who said pack up and get to the Mallinson's house
NOW.  Drove about 10 miles in driving rain/wind (not really
a wise choice in retrospect, but I didn't know they were
doing this until they drove in the driveway with alert
sirens going off in our town!).

Took an hour or two to calm them down with TV, popcorn and
finally getting their parents calmed down.  Their trailer
was OK we found out later.

Wild night, we had no damage and the family is fine, even my
son Ken in Morton where two tornado's touched down and did
damage.

I hope this spring is about over.

Don Mallinson