[Shotimes] Re: Water pump replacement question

Kevin - Cheryl Airth CLUBAIRTH@peoplepc.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 10:53:06 -0500

Frank:
 That was my suggestion. Found out the ATX is slightly different from the
MTX just like you did. I find it much cleaner and quicker to remove the plug
and just fish the wires in. Glad it worked good for you!
.
.

 I avoided having to remove the cam pulleys and rear cover by using
someone's idea of separating the CKP wires from the connectors.  Once I
figured out how to do it, it was VERY easy.  The single wire connector was
the easier one, as the tab that holds the wire in is easy to see and easy to
move so the wire will pull out.  The 4-wire connector is a bit more of a
challenge.  If you look at it, you'll see a red piece between the wires at
the face of the connector (true for the Ford piece, others may be
different).  Gently pry this out with a small jewelers screwdriver.  Then,
at the rear of the connector where the wires enter it, there's a soft rubber
grommet that you can carefully pry out with your jewelers screwdriver.
After that, look inside the face of the connector and you'll see 4 tiny gray
tabs, 1 for each wire.  Again, using the tiny screwdriver, gently pry these
away from each connector while pulling the wire from the rear.  You can only
do two at a time, as they!
>  interfere with each other.  Here's a crude representation:
> 0)(0
>
> 0)(0
> The left and right tabs cannot both be pried away at the same time.  Once
the wires are out of the connector, attach a length of stiff wire (I
actually used a long zip tie) to tie the wires together and feed them behind
the rear cover, then put them back in the connectors.  I simply cut the
wires on the old CKP and used that connector as a reference for putting the
wires back in the new connector.  Don't forget to put the red thing back in.