[Shotimes] back on the road, and a couple ?'s

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 11:56:06 -0500

My 92 is back on the road as of 7pm last Saturday night. Oh how I've
missed this car, which is even better now with the addition of the
quaife! My clutch and ceramic bearing from Josh showed up last week,
thus allowing me to complete the install over the weekend.

Unfortunately one (of the many) gremlin carried over with the install
of this new transmission. I have a hard time getting it into 1st from a
stop, and it klunks (not grinds) into reverse. Once I'm moving, it
shifts great, albeit a wee bit notchy. If I'm lucky and remember to
double clutch before trying 1st, it will go in with a bit of effort.
Sometimes it absolutely won't, and the best fix I've found is to
slightly engage 2nd, then press the clutch back in and shift up to 1st.
The tranny shifted flawlessly in Tim's car before extraction. Couple
that with the fact that this was happening with my old one too, and I'm
certain it's something amiss with the shifter machanism. But what? Tim
said he ran synthetic Castrol ATF in it, and it drianed out clean. I
used Mobil 1 ATF, but almost went with the GM syncromesh I've heard
about. Is it synthetic or orgainc? I also remember hearing about some
internals not "spinning down" fast enough with synthetics, but would
assume I'm ok since it shifted well with synthetic before.

Any input you could share about fixing / reinforcing the whole setup,
or what fluid might work better, would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
92 SHO in KC MO, 190k, with new legs!