[Shotimes] back on the road, and a couple ?'s

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 15:19:08 -0500

Thanks for the reply John. I will hopefully be able to check out the
mechanism over the weekend. Has anyone got any comments (positive or
negative) about the ball and socket upgrade from SHONut? Also, what type
of grease to use? I've heard Mobil 1 red synthetic mentioned lately.

As for the fluid / synchro issue: I know my old tranny had brass
synchros (was kinda surprised), and Tim and I believe this new tranny
does as well (it came out of a Gen 1). I've heard conventional is better
for the paper synchros and synthetic for the brass. I have also heard to
use MTL rather than ATF with the brass synchros. I'm going to wait a bit
before deciding to change fluid or not (the tranny was COMPLETELY DRY
before I filled it), but if I do it's a toss up between Redline MTL and
Syncromesh.

Justin
'92 SHO in KC MO, 190k and counting
SHOTimes list info: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO1.html

>>> john.hrinsin@mrgasket.com 05/13/03 02:59PM >>>
I would inspect the shifter support rod for damage.  Make sure the
slider block just behind the shifter itself is rust free and lubed
well.
 The shifter rod's universal type joints could be damaged or binding.

Also check and see if the ball and socket type joint at the bottom of
the shifter stick is in good shape and that it as well as the past
through in the dust cover box are both well lubed. Right after I got my

car, it was only 4 years ago and had 27K miles, I had to drop the
entire
shifter mechanism, clean and re-lube all the joints and sliding
surfaces.  It made a big difference.

Mine has recently developed a tendency to not want to go into 1st year,

unless I shift in 2nd gear first.  Once in 2nd, she glides back and
forth between 1st and 2nd with easy, as long as the clutch stays
depressed.  I may need a new 1-2 snychro, not sure until the case is
opened up.  Changing fluids can also make a difference in the "feel" of

the trany.  BTW, the GM T-56 synchromesh fluid by Pennzoil/QuakerState

is a conventional ATF and not synthetic.  Most people that have tried
it
in their MTX-IV tranys have liked it.  Currently I am running the
Redline D4 ATF, but plan on upgrading to Redline High Temp ATF once the

Quaife gets installed.  Others have tried both MTL or some form of
multi
weight 30 grade motor oil to differing degrease of success in their
late
model fiber lined synchro MTX-IV.