[Shotimes] Oil temp gauge//hot oil temps

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 14 May 2003 18:37:42 -0400

Could be, but I have an opinion (maybe BS or not), that really high temps
were more of a factor in the older "high pressure" engines, as pressure
would drop with higher temps. With the high-volume-low-pressure engines,
like the SHO, I feel it is less of an issue.

FWIW, 911s are "really" oil-cooled engines (more so than air-cooled) and the
oil temps tend to run high for track cars.....although the dry-sump systems
do carry 12 quarts (very convenient for buying cases at oil-change time!).

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donelson Don
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 6:22 PM
To: Ron Porter
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Oil temp gauge//hot oil temps

Ron

240 is pushing it .... but I am running a 3.2 motor and shawn P and some
other guys who have heavily modded 3.2 gen I's have seen higher temps than
normal 3.0 Gen I cars. I say Gen I cars for I think most will agree that the
Gen II design doesnt breath or flow as well as the Gen I.

I am probably around 200 to 220 80 % of the time ... and a few jaunts higher
or lower.

With this said. When I ran at Oklahoma .. I had the huge Go Dan radiator and
this bad boy makes a huge difference.

Water temps were incredible on the track ... almost within normal range.

dond

From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@prodigy.net>
Date:  Wed, 14 May 2003 18:04:21 -0400

>Going from memory here on some of this.....and I also don't have the dozens
>of posts from the 911 list on this topic.
>
>Don, I believe you are being overly cautious. Temps around 212-220 are
>actually desirable, as they boil off water and other unwanted stuff. IIRC
>(CRS strikes often!!), 250-270 under hard (like track) use isn't "TOO" bad,
>but the oil better be fresh or synthetic. If someone is seeing over 240 in
>normal spirited street use, they have other problems!!
>
>Ron Porter

What