[Shotimes] Removing front struts

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:15:15 -0700

On Thu, 15 May 2003 15:51:28 -0400 (EDT), Michael wrote:

>I'm sitting here looking at all the suspension components, and there doesn't seem to be room enough to pull the spindle off the strut. When I try to do it, the tension strut hits the subframe and prevents the lower control arm from moving further downwards. I didn't disconnect the LCA from the spindle yet. Should I? (This can't be done either, btw, since the tension strut hits the subframe. Only way to remove the LCA is to push the spindle upwards ~2 inches or so with a jack.)
>
>Any advice how this should be done?

I'm the one that wrote the instructions for strut removal on SHOTimes.

You don't have to remove the knuckle from the car with the strut.  You have
forgotten to remove one set of bushings that holds everything in place.  You need to
remove the nut that holds the bushings on the tension strut into the LCA.  After
this is done, remove the rear bushing, and pull the LCA/knuckle combination back
about 2-3 inches.  Then you will have enough room to slide the knuckle off the
strut.  It helps to hold the pinch open a bit with a wedge of some kind....I use a
soft brass wood splitting wedge.  It works like a champ.  You can use a short stubby
flat bladed screwdriver as well.

Leave the LCA connection to the knuckle alone, and leave the 2x4s in the woodpile.
With the wedge open, and the tension strut loose, the knuckle falls off the strut
with no difficulty.

George