[Shotimes] Alternator woes

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:51:54 -0400

Thank you to Paul Nimz and Kevin Airth.

It turns out that the Wht/Blk wire simply goes from the voltage regulator
terminal to the stator terminal on the alternator.
Once I connected that, the light went out.

It's funny that others have never had a single problem with the stock
alternator.  It has been a problem since I first got the car.  Hopefully
putting on the 165 amp will cure it once and for all.   And, just for the
record, that has to be one of the easiest swaps I have ever done.  Just
three spacers and removal of the ear that attached to the rear (or right, or
maybe that's the left side, hell if I know!) of the alternator.

Jim
'93 MTX

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Jim and Debbie Leyden
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 11:17 AM
To: Shotimes@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shotimes] Alternator woes

For some reason I can't seem to keep an alternator on my '93 MTX.  Since I
have owned the car I have installed no less that FIVE alternators.  The
fourth one was a NAPA (Beck-Arnley) Lifetime that lasted about two years.  I
decided to purchase a rewound Beavco 165A '94-95 alternator and modify the
brackets to make it fit.  Installing it was a breeze, all I had to do was
manufacture three spacers to make up for the difference in bracket size, cut
an ear off the lower bracket and it bolted right on.  The wiring is a
different story.  The '93 has only two wires (Yellow w/white tracer and
green w/red tracer).  The '95 has those two wires plus a white w/black
tracer.  Doug Lewis seemed to think that the White/Black was unneeded on my
car so I hooked up the others and started the car.  The alternator charges
perfectly (14.6V @ idle) but the battery light is still on.
Anyone have a '94 or '95 EVTM manual that they can look at and tell me what
that extra wire does? (I have the '93) I'm thinking that I might have to
splice it onto one of the others but without the books I'm not gonna try
anything.

Thanks,
Jim
'93 MTX