[Shotimes] A/C Question

ATXSHO93@aol.com ATXSHO93@aol.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:02:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/03 5:26:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lkhdjeff@bellsouth.net writes:

> I took my '91 to get the A/C serviced and it was discovered that I have a
> bad
> accumulator and dryer. Replacement and recharge was quoted at $1500. Is this
> reasonable? They say they have to take the dash completely out.....labor was
> $900 of the quote. Any ideas? Can this be a DYI project?

I replaced both of my manifold hoses, liquid line, accumulator, O-rings,
garter springs, and a 8 ounce bottle of Texaco Synthetic ester oil for under
$300.00.  I decided to retrofit to R-134a since all of my R-12 had leaked out due
to old O-rings.  The SHOs Nippondeso compressor works very well with R-134a.

Are you sure they weren't talking about the evaporator core?  That is the
only part that would require dash removal.  However, changing out the accumulator
is a major P.I.T.A., but not $900.00 worth of labor.  I had to disconnect
both fuel lines and the wiring harnesses on the passenger's side to get it
threaded under everything.  I have a PIC of that somewhere if you would like to see
what I'm talking about.

John Gentry
'93 ATX w/ R-134a