[Shotimes] Crown Vic problems?

sho2go srfdude@cox.net
Wed, 28 May 2003 14:41:20 -0700

Left wing Democrat senator from NY, Chuck Schumer wants the NTSB to
investigate the occurence of gas tank fires/explosions when hit from the rear,
regarding the nearly 400,000 CVs in police use across the country.  He says,
"We know there's a problem; we just need to figure out how to fix it."  It
seems there have been 14 fires as a result of rear contact collisions,
presumably mostly during  freeway stops on the shoulder.  Ford and the NTSB
says the car meets the current safety standards, requiring no leaks after a 35
mph rear collision.  Actually both the car company and the NTSB say the car
already meets the proposed 50 mph standards.  Ford came up with a plastic
shield to cover the tank, and in one case where it had been installed, after a
high-speed rear ender a CV burned anyway.  Since the average freeway speed is
at least 70 and higher in many places, maybe the cops should consider a
Bradley fighting vehicle?
Mike