[Shotimes] 11.87 second SHO...

Russ M. rm1012@yahoo.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 17:52:36 -0700 (PDT)

  FWIW:

From: "Ted A. Breaux" <tabreaux@neworleans.com>
To: "SHOtimes" <shotimes@ls.c-edge.com>
Subject: Re: GET BACK THE 300HP
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:11:18 -0500

> And a SHO cannot see 300hp without a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous.

Hmmmm....you'd better take a look at this:

Back in '94, I had custom made true duals, cams, adjustable cam
sprockets,
UDP, prototype LPM, 36 lb/hr injectors, 155lph fuel pump, 77mm MAF, and
slick ceramic coated intake (inside and out).  I also had 17" wheels,
tires,
Eibachs, konis, etc.  I went to the track with about 5 gal of fuel in
the
tank.  The actual weight was right at 3500lb.  After posting a couple
of
smoking tire high 14 sec runs, I posted a high 13sec@105mph run
following a
perfect high rpm launch.  I was able to do it by revving the motor to
around
3500rpm and feathering the clutch.  I remember this because it was in
time
trials, and I smoked a new Trans-Am on this run.  After a couple more
throwaway runs, I managed to do it one more time (raced an old
Barracuda
that time I think).  I still have the timeslips in a 'nostalgia' box
somewhere.  Everyone at the track was gawking.  At that same period, I
managed 8000rpm (programmed rev limit) in fourth one summer evening
(158+mph).  I also trounced my friend's Buick GN (with flowmaster
exhaust
and turbo mods) from 70-140mph by about 4-5 lengths.  A subsequent trip

Texas Turbo in Houston was the only time the car ever saw the dyno.
The
dyno was an adjustable load Clayton, with Gene Deputy at the operator's
helm.  FWIW, a bone stock Mustang 5.0L GT saw 185hp at the wheels.  We
rolled my car up, and after several warm-ups, it touched 270hp at the
wheels
at 7500-7600rpm.  Now, I don't want to hear any dyno rebuttal talk.
Just
compare the results to my track performance.  My clutch didn't last
long!

It was this astounding surprise in performance which gave me the
impetus to
share what I theorized up to that point via the SHO performance
guidebook I
wrote.  When I let a couple of other SHO owners have a turn at the
wheel,
they were flabbergasted.  The sad part is that after I spent all kinds
of $$
in additional work and headers headache, the car really lost its power.
Those headers really took the life out of it.  No matter what I did
after
that (endless hours of cam timing and fuel and spark changes), I never
could
get to to run right again.  My SHO was done at the end of '94.

Case 2:

Mike Wesley's '89 unexpectedly ruined a piston.  He just dropped off
the car
at the Ford Engineering workshop (SVT I believe), where they proceeded
install (after months of waiting) an engine which was shipped from the
Yamaha R&D facility in Japan.  The engine was 'blueprinted' at Yamaha,
and
purportedly had different spec cams and who knows what else.  Mike had
77mm MAF, UDP, and self-programmed LPM (with a bunch of weird changes I
cannot remember).  Mike took out the seats, insulation, and other
items,
which removed several hundred pounds from the car.  The guys at the
Ford
Engineering shop crafted a true dual stainless exhaust system w/no cats

(ok
for a manufacturer's plate car).  Mike had some slicks on the car I
believe,
and posted a 13.3 @ 111mph.  This is the fastest recorded time I know
of for
a SHO, period.

Rest assured that these two cases are no B.S.

T.A. Breaux