[Shotimes] 93 sho limited edition

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 28 May 2003 21:06:34 -0400

I think you're missing the point on the 911, but I don't want to get into
it....some of the comments were directed toward the Gen 3 cam issue.

Coupla things....

The clutch was fixed in '91, and rather early in '91.

The SHO was never "world class" and "world's finest". Yeah, it was damn good
for a US car, but that's like saying Rosie O'Donnell looks good for being a
fat lesbian!!

I am a realist, and an analytical sort of person (probably why I ended up in
IT!!). I have been a SHO enthusiast for over 14 years, but I have never felt
that the SHO was more than what it is. It was a very good automobile in
1989. I did not progress, and the car market passed it by within a few
years. Doesn't mean that it still isn't fun, but it is anything BUT the only
game in town.

From: Carl Prochilo [mailto:gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 8:08 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net; Ron Porter
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] 93 sho limited edition

I'm sure Ford would be flattered to see a comparison between the SHO and the
911, but that is really comparing apples and oranges IMO although I
understand the point you are trying to make.  A potential Porsche buyer
probably wouldn't even read CR in the first place, and even if they did
wouldn't care.  That marque has an established reputation and people will
make buy decisions based on that alone, oil-fed tensioner problems or not.
Porsche's core business is building and selling performance sports cars.
The Ford Taurus is a mass market car, but the SHO version isn't.  The
literature uses words like "world class" and "world's finest".  Good stuff
except for some nasty gremlins.
On the SHO, the final clutch design wasn't really established until the 93
MY and the brakes weren't fixed until the 94 MY.  Don't have to be a rocket
scientist to figure out that they finally succumbed to the the warranty
pressures and decided to fix those items, which in reality could have and
should have been introduced sooner.  I know it's easy for me to sit here and
Monday morning quarterback, but this isn't really high tech stuff we're
talking about and having to wait 6 years to get these changes seems a bit on
the long side to me.
In the meantime the word is out that the SHO, while having a bad-ass motor,
will be trouble down the road in a few areas and I'm sure that people take
those things into consideration when having  to spend $23 to $24K roughly
with discount and tax and tags applied to drive out the door.

Carl P.