[Shotimes] Re: roots

Mark Nunnally manunnal@netheaven.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 12:16:14 -0400

> Eliminating the snakes on a V6 and building a manifold sounds doable,
> though. The Whipple is a nice setup.....I was looking at one for my buddys
> Chevy conversion van that is a bit down on power for his tastes.

    I've measured things up, with the whipples dimensions, and it wouldn't
fit on the heads even with the intake gone.  Especially if you set up a I/C
between it.  Unless you cut a hole in the hood and did a Mach 1 style
"shaker" hood :)

The way to do it would be like the Jackson racing and/or Comptech kits for
the Honda's acura's.  They use a small (M62 I think) roots for those smaller
motors with a jackshaft kinda like Doug's set-up on the SHO.  That's not the
ideal route, but you could do the same with the whipple, especially on an 89
with no extra junk in the way (ABS module, etc).  Spin the whipple, send the
plumbing to an I/C before the intake, with cooling rad down front behind the
fascia (tons of room, especially on a track A/C delete SHO.  I'd keep the
snakes, but make the stock TB just a dummy blowthough, no butterfly plate.
Set up a working TB pre blower (as well as MAF).

A nice 9 psi huffing on a stock cam'd 3.2L in a nice light 89 would make for
a seriously quick car and a stump pulling motor.

mark