[Shotimes] 1989-1990 clutches of olden days

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 18:32:40 -0400

No, believe I have it right.

The old 9.25" clutch and flywheel were no longer available sometime during
the '91 model year, the only available clutch and flywheel were the 9.75"
units (I believe I have these measurements right....unless CRS has struck
again!!).

The clutch in my '89 died in the June-July of 1990 timeframe (with ~32K
miles), and it was replaced with another "small" clutch (it's all they had
at the time).  I never got the recall notice in late '91 as many folks did
(boy, you move once and they can't find you!!), but my car qualified for it.
The second "small" clutch was starting to get heavy pedal action, so the new
"big" clutch was installed under the recall in mid 1992 at around 55K. That
clutch lasted almost 80K miles until I messed it up at the SHOcago
Convention.

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I don't believe there were any changes
to the clutch from the original 9.25" in late '88 until the new 9.75" in
'91. They may have updated a TOB or something, but not the clutches.