[Shotimes] Just looked at a 1990 for sale

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Fri, 30 May 2003 17:20:04 -0400

Hey
You are on the MR2 list!

No SHO content whatsoever in this post..

Ian "I want an MR2" Fisher

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of
peterchase2@charter.net
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 6:26 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Just looked at a 1990 for sale

Hello everyone,
   I'm new to this list but I've been a fan of SHO's since they first
came out. Up until now though, I haven't needed a 4-door car.  My dog is
getting pretty big now though, and my 2-seat mr2 just isn't cutting it
anymore.  I just looked at a 1990 SHO manual showing 113 on the odo.
The body has been resprayed in a few places but there's no rust or
dents, just some scratches. The front seats have covers as they're
ripped, but all of the seat adjustments work, as well as the power
mirrors/windows etc.  It had the ABS, low oil pressure, and low oil
level lights on.  I checked the oil level and it was actually a little
above full so I know that sensor was bad.  As far as the low oil
pressure, there were no engine ticking or knocking noises and the car
drove fine with plenty of power through the rev range.  Do the oil
pressure sensors go bad occasionally or is it a safe bet that the
bearings/oil pump are bad?  The rear shocks definitely were shot but the
fronts were OK, not great. There was a little sloppiness in the front
end (alignment/bushings/tie rods/ or ball joints) and a slight clunking
during accel/coast transitions.  After I drove it, I noticed some
coolant leaking out of what seemed to be the lower passenger side hose
going into the motor.  The guy (who barely speaks English) has $1500 on
the windshield (which is cracked).  I was thinking more along the lines
of $500.  Assuming (optimistically) that it's just the oil sensors that
are bad, is it even worth that?  Should I just save up and look for a
nicer/pricier example?  Anyone know of any SHO's in Georgia for sale?
                                                            Thanks in
advance for any help,

Peter Chase

1 985 MR2

1 969 Mustang fastback (still in restoration stages)