[Shotimes] 1989-1990 clutches of olden days

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 19:26:54 -0400

The following info is from the SHO Registry Volume 1 Number 4 Winter 1991.

The SHO Registry article said that Bill Staib got a Fax from Ford on October
18, 1991 regarding the 91M73 program, and that he got his notice in the mail
in December '91.

Marlene was correct, there was a feeble clutch upgrade in '90, using the
same 9.25" clutch, but with stronger springs and revised clutch face
material. Per Bill Staib, the original clutch had an "unofficial" life
estimate of 18K, this 'revised' clutch had an estimate of 25K. Ford was
still not happy, and redid the entire assembly in 1991.

FWIW, in addition to the bigger 9.75" clutch, the flywheel became a casting,
rather than a stamping, and it is 37% heavier than the old flywheel (I knew
it was heavier, but I didn't know about the stamping vs. casting).

'91s got the wimpy clutch? Since there were approximately 23,977 '89-'90 US
cars involved in the Owner Notification program, plus 1,276 in CA and 16 in
export locations, and the SHOtimes FAQ shows 15,561 '89s, 8,609 '90s, and
9,136 '91s built, it would seem that virtually NO '91s were involved in the
91M73 program.