[Shotimes] 1989-1990 clutches of olden days

Mark Nunnally manunnal@netheaven.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 20:17:30 -0400

>Per Bill Staib, the original clutch had an "unofficial" life
> estimate of 18K, this 'revised' clutch had an estimate of 25K. Ford was
> still not happy, and redid the entire assembly in 1991.

    The first 89 I bought had the small 9.25" clutch.  I dunno how long it
had been in there (worked fine when I got it) but it managed to last a whole
4 days with me behind the wheel <g>

> FWIW, in addition to the bigger 9.75" clutch, the flywheel became a
casting,
> rather than a stamping, and it is 37% heavier than the old flywheel (I
knew
> it was heavier, but I didn't know about the stamping vs. casting).

    You mean the pressure plate?

The flywheels are pretty much the same.  Just machined different for the
pressure plate bolts/dowels.

What was ever Ford thinking putting that thing in there?  What a little
piece of junk.  Looked like it was out of a honda civic or something.  Been
a few yrs since I've seen any, last one was on a 89 i did a clutch for.

IIRC, I believe you can still buy a 89-90 9.25" from Centerforce.

mark