[Shotimes] Misc related to subframe bushings

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 15:34:19 -0400

I suspect that once the two pieces corrode together after a couple of years
of Midwest winters, they would probably survive that way for many, many
years. Other than swapping between cars as I did, there really is no reason
to pull them off of the subframe. For things like a clutch job, pulling out
the bolts is sufficient.

I agree on the AL SFBs. If you can tolerate a bit more harshness,
particularly on small bumps and rough roads, the AL SFBs are great! The
sharper steering response is well worth it. You also need to torque then
occasionally. Someone mentioned that they do it at each oil change, which
sounds like a good idea.

From: Carl Prochilo [mailto:carl@prochilo.myserver.org]
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 3:23 PM
To: Ron Porter; Shotimes
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Misc related to subframe bushings

When the clutch was replaced on my 92, the subframe had to come off.  I've
already posted on the experience getting one of the stuck bolts out, but
while the thing was apart I was able to examine the FPS AL SFBs.  I bought
these from Doug Lewis pretty much around the time he first started selling
them.  They've seen a couple of NY winters and the rest of the time down
here in FL.  These parts look about as good as when I first bought them.  If
you can put up with the harsher ride, these puppies look to last forever.

Carl P.