[Shotimes] Misc related to subframe bushings and rant

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 17:35:01 -0400

Just having done the "hole drilling" on the '95,I don't see ANY reason why
the clutch pedal needs to be touched!! I was able to easily get my Ryobi
cordless with the hole cutter to the right spot between the pedals. The hole
is not that critical, it has about a 1/2" of flexibility either way when you
drill it. If my hole-cutter was newer and sharper, the whole "hole drilling"
exercise could have taken 5 minutes.....including pulling up putting down
the carpet and insulation pad.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 5:15 PM
To: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
Cc: 'Shotimes'
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Misc related to subframe bushings and rant

Carl,

I have to admit that I have not done the recall to my '89.
If you will remember, when that recall first came out,
several people, including my son, had their clutchs or
clutch mechanisms messed up by Ford dealers.  What they were
doing is forcing the pedal to the floor with a broom handle
or something similar so they could drill the hold under that
area.  Then they popped the handle out, and clutches do not
like to be snapped (or side-stepped) like that!

In my son's case, Mike Murphy Ford in Morton, IL caused the
tension spring on the adjuster to pop off.  They would at
first not admit to the problem (we had receipts for $1200+
in new clutch work at Performance Plus just the week before,
and the car was perfect when they drove it into their
service bay) then they called us names, thinking we wanted
something for nothing.  I should have sued the idiots for
defamation of character.  Once they realized it was just a
minor problem, they STILL would not fix it.  SO my son and I
fixed it in about 20 minutes at home.  I knew the dealer
(Mike Murphy) pretty well, and went to ask him for an
appology in public by him and his service writer for calling
us names in public.  And I wanted nothing other than that.
Not a penny.

He could not even look me in the face, so I send him a
letter each year telling him how many sales I have cost him
since that time (about 20 and counting).  Reminding him a
simple appology would have done the trick years ago.

So just to repeat...don't do business with Mike Murphy Ford
in Morton, IL.  I don't hold many grudges, but the ones that
I do hold, deserve it and will get my best ticked off
customer routine till I die.  Understand I don't let it eat
on me, I just remember, like an elephant or Vulcan.

"Remember" Spock to Bones before Spoke dies in the engine
room.  :)

I may get the recall done sometime, but Carl is right, the
stock (and aluminum/delron) bushings will hold water around
the bolts by design, so check them often if driven in the
wet a lot.

Don Mallinson