[Shotimes] Misc related to subframe bushings

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 31 May 2003 16:19:27 -0400

Basically, forget about the bolts......I'm sure the bolts will last a long
time. The two problems are:

1.  the rubber portions of the SFBs just disintegrate.

2.  the subframe bolts nuts are pretty wimpy, but the nuts in the recall kit
are a bunch beefier (they are real "nuts"!!), and if the kit hasn't been
installed I would recommend it just to get the beefier nuts and to get the
floorboard drilled to allow access to them.

I will suspect that heating the nut is not the issue. It's the locating tabs
corroding, which allow it to spin free. Having the holes in the floorboard
are the ONLY way to go!!

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of James White
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 4:05 PM
To: 'Shotimes'
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Misc related to subframe bushings

I was also worried about corrosion, that is why I got the Delrin ones from
Courtney for the '95MTX.  And like the AL, they also need to be retorqued
from time to time.

But I am now worried about the standard ones on the '93MTX.  Never has had
the recall done, but Doug did the clutch on it 3 years ago and said that the
subframe bolts looked OK then.  I also noted that he modified a torch so
that it would fit through the subframe so he could heat the captive nut.

Jim White - greensho@crown.net
Valparaiso, Indiana
'93  5 SPEED   278k few mods
'95  5 SPEED   247k lots of mods (waiting for new cats..)
"double clutch"  it's good for both you and your SHO