[Shotimes] Power adder discussion

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:01:27 -0500

As to diesels, I would guess that the turbo is more
efficient and offers better fuel mileage and less maintenance.

Another thing is that superchargers as used on passenger
cars are there to give low end torque, and that is something
diesel engines excell in, but they lack top end HP, and that
is where a turbo can really help.  Turbo's are a better fit
for a high torque engine like a diesel.

Superchargers are on many small cars, Mercedes for instance
has a line of supercharged 4 cyl engines in its new small
lineup.

And as Ron Childs said, turbo's are WAY more complicated to
plumb up than a supercharger with the exhaust plumbing needed.

Don Mallinson