[Shotimes] Wheels and Tires?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:28:54 -0400

Well, actually the 215s "hold the weight of the car" very well, and in
reality have a higher load rating than 22/50, and Tire Rack won't sell you
225/50/16s unless you lie about what car they are going on. 225/55/16 is our
most common replacement size, as 215s are not too plentiful.

The slicer 16x6" is really, sized for the 215. A bunch of us run 225/55/16
on slicers, but it is NOT ideal, and we are actually losing a bit of contact
area on most tires due to the narrow rim.

I would stick with a 16" size, and get rims with a minimum 7" width, and
shoot for 7.5-8" width. In these northern climates, I would then go with
225/55/16, or a 225/50/16 in a southern climate with smoother roads. I would
not go to a 17" rim unless I bought serious brakes that required it. I would
personally tend away from anything lower than a 50 aspect ratio, unless you
live where there are extremely smooth roads. I would also look for rims that
weigh no more than stock, and preferably lighter.

Doing this, and getting some GOOD rubber, should put you in pretty good
shape.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Matt Geer
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 9:38 PM
To: SHOList
Subject: [Shotimes] Wheels and Tires?

I currently have the stock rims with some goodyear 215-60-16's on them. They
are z rated, but at only 215mm they don't hold the weight of the car very
well. I would like to go as wide as possible and still have clearance (no
cutting). My goals: 1st - performance, 2nd - performance, 3rd - cost, 4th -
ride comfort. I don't want to go to something like a 35 series tire, yet...
I am thinking that I can sacrifice the top end speed for some more useable
torque at lower speeds by sticking with the 16's and lowering the ratio.
Suggestions? Experiences?

Also, who makes rims that fit? Are there any take offs that fit (ie - cobra,
etc.)?

Thanks again!