[Shotimes] Power adder discussion

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:22:34 -0500

Yes. They are the one and the same.  An  interesting (and OT!) story too.
Detroit Diesel is what's left of the GM Diesel Division started in 1937. Gm
had a break though design of a 2 cycle diesel that really took off. So GM
created a separate division for it. In the 50's GM came out with the 53 and
71 series diesels. These numbers stand for the cubic inch displacement of 1
cylinder. So if you had a 6-71 GMC. This was a 6 cylinder displacing (6X71)
426 cubic inches. These 2 stroke diesels really take to supercharging well
and GM made a ton of supercharged models. About that time ( Late 50's) drag
racing was getting very hot in southern California. I don't have the names
and dates of who thought of this first but the GMC diesel Roots type
supercharger was adapted to a gas V-8 and run by a belt. Not a whole lot has
changed in 40 years! So even today all the roots blowers in top fuel, ECT
are sized by the same GM numbering system used in 1957. I see now where they
are running 14-71 and 16-71 blowers. I don't think GM ever made any in these
sizes at all but the aftermarket has completely taken over the manufacture
of  blowers. Like the aftermarket for custom Harley engines. Not one piece
is made by Harley but they all interchange. You probably had a old 4-71 or
6-71 these were the most common. The 53 size blowers did not get used much
if ever.
 Anyway the kicker I guess is that Detroit Diesel is now owned completely as
of 2000 by DaimlerChrysler.
.
.