[Shotimes] Power adder discussion

Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:25:01 -0400

You're correct, the 14-71 and 16-71 were not GMC blowers.  They are
aftermarket cases made by someone else, and don't correspond to any
engine displacement designations.  They are just bigger and bigger yet!
As I understand it, original cases are getting pretty hard to come by,
and companies like BDS and B&M are getting new castings made for
the "traditional style" blowers.  Littlefield made/makes a 10-71 size
which is really just bigger displacement than the 4's and 6's.  There
was an 8-71 size that came from Detroit, I thought, but it was never
on an 8 cylinder engine.  Just bigger than the 6.  Any case bigger than
a 6 would be tough to put on a street car, as it's just too long, and
there's
not much room left for the distributor and firewall clearance.

Mike Wojton
Toledo, Ohio

-'95 Green MTX  3/01-1/03
   ShoShop y-pipe

-'95 White MTX
   '96 Brake Upgrade

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown.

shotimes-admin@autox.team.net wrote on 10/01/2003 01:22:34 PM:

> Yes. They are the one and the same.  An  interesting (and OT!) story
too.
> Detroit Diesel is what's left of the GM Diesel Division started in 1937.
Gm
> had a break though design of a 2 cycle diesel that really took off. So
GM
> created a separate division for it. In the 50's GM came out with the 53
and
> 71 series diesels. These numbers stand for the cubic inch displacement
of 1
> cylinder. So if you had a 6-71 GMC. This was a 6 cylinder displacing
(6X71)
> 426 cubic inches. These 2 stroke diesels really take to supercharging
well
> and GM made a ton of supercharged models. About that time ( Late 50's)
drag
> racing was getting very hot in southern California. I don't have the
names
> and dates of who thought of this first but the GMC diesel Roots type
> supercharger was adapted to a gas V-8 and run by a belt. Not a whole lot
has
> changed in 40 years! So even today all the roots blowers in top fuel,
ECT