[Shotimes] RE: (OT) Cheap Torque Wrenches

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:30:19 -0400

Yep, the PowerCraft metric sockets that I got for Christmas about 30 years
ago (to work on my motorcycles) have started to break with
regularity.....turned out to be pretty good stuff over all these years!!

But, it's now easier for me to head a mile down the road to AZ and get the
Lifetime Great Neck sockets, rather than the long drive to the nearest
Sears. Also because the socket that breaks is the one that you need to most
at that particular moment!

Along with the torque wrenches, I also ordered some impact sockets, so I
don't have to abuse my regular sockets with the impact wrench.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Tom Leeth
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 10:02 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] RE: (OT) Cheap Torque Wrenches

Harbor Freight honors the warranty.  When the chrome plating peeled off my
3/8" drive Harbor Freight wrench, I took it and the sales receipt back to
the
store I bought it from and got a new wrench off the display rack.  The
process
took about 60 seconds.  I agree that the Chinese made torque wrenches are
accurate to within the advertised +/- 4%, at least if you don't get too near
the bottom end of the range.  I also agree with Ron that Harbor Freight will
likely be around longer than Sears, not that it makes me all that happy.  I
have some broken "PowerCraft" tools with a lifetime warranty but Montgomery
Ward is no more!!

Tom Leeth
'93 Silver ATX