[Shotimes] (OT) Computer problems - will pay $$$ for solution

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:19:11 -0400

Jim,

For FAX send/receive software on a PC, get WinFax Pro:

http://www.symantec.com/winfax/

I have been using this since the mid '90s, and I finally gave up my old
version of PRO (the first Win 95 version) when I got a free version of
WinFax Basic with a Norton package a couple of years ago. If I sent more
faxes, I would pony up for a new PRO version. It works VERY well.

The second part of this is: Get yourself a FREE email FAX service. I
consider this a MANDATORY for someone in your situation. They are free for
receiving faxes, and you can pay to upgrade for sending faxes, but that's
where I use the WinFax. Go to either:

www.j2.com
www.efax.com

I have a had the FREE J2 FAX number on my business card for a few years, as
do other folks in my company (we use J2, BTW). It is a GREAT way to receive
faxes. MUCH more dependable than relying on a PC or a FAX machine to get the
FAX correctly. They give you a free phone number, and if you want one  in
your area code, it will cost. As an example, my home a/c is 248, but my J2
FAX # is 425-799-7760, which is a Seattle a/c, but who cares? The faxes can
be printed, saved as TIF or JPG files, etc. MUCH better than just getting
hardcopy.

Also Jim, you really need to look at going to Win XP. I ran 98SE for years,
now both of our laptops have XP (PRO on mine, Home on my wife's). It works
very well for us. The desktop that now basically acts as the server for the
wireless and the printers is still on 98SE. I need to do a couple of things
on it (it has the scanner, also), and I forgot what a PITA that Win98SE
really is!!