[Shotimes] OT: Window tinting

Rick Glass rick@pitroadproducts.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:23:41 -0500

Tint darker than 35% on the front doors is not legal in most states.....in
fact in Florida (just had my wifes SUV tinted there) they did put 20% on the
doors, but they would only do that for a cash transaction with no receipt,
because 35% was the darkest they could "legally" put on the front, rear
doors and glass can go limo on an SUV or truck, but not on a car, I believe
this law applies in most states.
That is why the cop forced me to strip mine...it was illegal.  I could have
argued, and been impounded, seen the judge, and been guilty because the tint
on the car was illegal in  TN and it was illegal in the state of Florida
where the car was registered.  It was not worth the battle......
I retinted that car 20%, and that is what I put on all of my cars now, it's
plenty dark for privacy, very good sun protection, I can see through it to
drive....and it's safer driving at night.

Here in TN where I plan to have my '99 SHO tinted (am going to put 20% all
around), the shop will go as dark as I want it.....but, the darker the tint,
the higher the price...35% all around $165, 20% all around $185, and limo
would be over $200....and they said the same as in Florida, cash only no
receipt.

Here is a link to a site that posts window tint laws for all 50 states.
www.doityourselftint.com/tintlaws.html

Rick Glass
Nashville, TN
'99 Silver 35,100 unwelded
      Flowmaster Original 40's
'94 Yellow ATX 161,090 parked and For Sale
      KYB Struts
      Eibach Springs
      K&N panel filter, enlarged box opening
      Gutted cats