[Shotimes] Broken Bolts?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:44:16 -0400

This was my solution: go to the '95 SHO Rod Bearing Job:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=rsporter

I ended up using the carbide drill that I got from Home Depot, then got the
studs and nuts shown in the picture, since the threads in the exhaust
manifold were hacked up and not usable. As I describe in the captions with
the photos, I used 2.5" studs, but 3" would have worked a little bit better.

BTW, in order to use that drill bit, I needed to get one of those drill
extenders for my drill to get to the manifold, Also, that carbide bit works
without a lot of pressure on it. Press too hard, and it will break.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Shaun & Meggen Livermore
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 9:35 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Broken Bolts?

Hey everyone,

Today I ripped off my old (stock) exhaust system. I'm getting ready to
put on a new high-flow Dynomax one.  I had a little problem getting the
Y-pipe off though.  While I was taken off the bolts that connect the
Y-pipe to the headers, they all broke.  I soaked them on four different
occasions, yet I still broke three out of the four.  They were so rusty
the threads could not be seen and the bolt-nut assembly appeared to be
one.  I cut off the remaining length of the studs in an attempt to drill
through the bolts.  I'm hoping that if I just drill through them I can
place all new bolts in there and problem solved.  The question I have is
if anyone knows a better way to do this.  I tried drilling through it
with my 12 volt cordless, but didn't even budge.  Are there any special
tools that I need, and even any special steps that should be taken.
Thanks a lot!

Shaun Livermore
91' Plus 127,000 miles