[Shotimes] Calif route 1 between SF and LA

Gary Mulholland scmerkur@charter.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:03:41 -0400

George wrote: ">Also, although it will probably be slow going, I wanted to
>do route 1 between SF and LA.

You'd better make sure you allow at least one whole day for that....it's a
LONG way
at about 30 mph average speed.  It wore me out in 1967 in the '65 Mustang
(when I
was 21, and had a gorgeous girl as a passenger), a much lighter car to drive
than a
Gen 3 SHO.  In fact, we gave up at Monterey, and came directly home, rather
than
going all the way to SF."

OK BTDT, got the Tshirt. Went down this road last summer after leaving
George's house.....in my 93ATX.
Has to be one of the most spectacular drives in the world. Be prepared for
RV'ers who won't get their buses out of the way, cows lounging between the
highway and the seaside cliffs, and car sickness for those so disposed.
BUT!!! you HAVE to at least try some of it for the unbelieveable : mountains
that dive into the deep blue Pacific, seals lounging on the beach, dolphins,
windsurfers, the cool breezes. Be sure to check the weather forecast because
there is always the possibility of fog.
If you tire of the winding road, you can always transit back to the 101
Freeway of even I-5.
San Simeon (Hearst castle) is a must-see, but make reservations the day you
arrive for the next days tours. They fill up quickly.  Eat at The Sows Ear
in Cambria just south of there.  I hurt myself on the filet of sole.
We drove the entire coast from Oregon to San Diego. Would I do it
again?...No. But I'm glad I did it once. Might never get back.
Opportunity is priceless.
Gary