[Shotimes] CV Boot Torn

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:18:37 -0500

Don:
 I argue against ANY repair to a CV axle. When you compare the cost to
remove/replace the axles and the labor to repack with grease and then
install new boots you end up pretty close to a new axle. The difference is
you will have a lifetime warrantee on the new complete axle! And any DIY'er
can change the axles but it is not a trivial task to properly disassemble ,
pack and reseal a CV joint. Special tools needed and skills ect. Then at
best you have a used CV joint with how many miles on it?
 I really wish I understood why and how the boots split. It seems to follow
no pattern. Both my SHO's with over 140K miles are running the factory axles
and boots but I see other people with far less miles needing to replace
them. My brother has a 1996 Toyota Avalon and despite all the crap I hear
about how good Toyota is, both of his axles have now been replaced at 70K
miles? Split boots both times. Looks like at the seam but is hard to tell.
.
.