[Shotimes] Time for rod bearing swap

Dave Hammond iceman@cmgate.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:34:33 -0500

Hi all-

I am getting a list of parts together to do the oil pan gaskets/rod bearings
swap on my 94 ATX.  As of right now I have an oil leak coming from the pan
and so I figure I may as well swap out the bearings while I am in there.  The
car has 151,000 miles on it so I figure it would be worth doing.  I have
already gone through the page that Kurt Metros put together on doing the
swap, and have a Helms manual handy, but I am wondering if there are any
tips/tricks you all can share that will make the job easier.  The biggest
hassle in my mind is going to be pulling the y-pipe that has never been
removed from that car before.  I have already started hosing down the studs
nightly with PB blaster but don't hold out much hope.  So I guess I have a
few questions for the list on this job overall...

1.  From what I can gather the gasket for the oil pan is 2 pieces, I haven't
pulled it yet and don't have the new gaskets yet to look at so bear with me.
What do I need to RTV, where, and how much do I need to use?

2.  When I am swapping out the bearings is it necessary to use assembly lube
or can I just use motor oil?  I assume I only need to coat the side that will
be facing the crank, is that correct?  The car will go back in service after
this job is done, it will not be sitting for a long period of time.

3.  Any tips for pulling out that y-pipe that has never been removed in its
151,000 mile history would be appreciated.  The car has lived its life in MN
& WI so I have already started praying about this job.

4.  Are there any other things that I need to check or swap while I am doing
this project?  I have included a part list as of right now, is there anything
else I need that isn't on the list?  I would like to get the order in tonight
yet or tomorrow at the latest..

6 sets - Clevite cb-1435p bearings
1 set - Felpro OS30636r oil pan gasket
1 set - Felpro TCS45871 oil pump gasket kit (to cover any gaskets I am missing
or might be mangled)
1 exhaust flex pipe gasket - #E6DZ5E241A
Oil and filter of course.  The car has been running Mobil 1 10w-30 since 60k
miles when I bought it.  Would I be wise to go to something thicker?

Thanks for any help,
Dave
94 ATX
Lots of suspension mods, not many engine mods.