[Shotimes] are Al flywheels worth it?

lewis lewisweb@atlanticbb.net
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:05:31 -0500

I think I am going to take mine out whenever I change the clutch again,
which might be a while, since I don't drive the car much.  I have the
Fidanza and for $400 bucks, I don't think it was worth it.  Rev like a
sportbike, is a load of horse manure.  I mean it does rev a little faster,
but not $400 faster.  I'm glad my car is not my daily driver, because it
sucks to launch the car from a stop, especially on a hill.  I have to rev it
up to 1500-2000 rpm to launch and then without the heavier flywheel effect
the car drops rpm's fast and then I have to modulate it some more.  It's a
pain in the ass and not worth it to me.  Maybe the car rev's a little faster
in 1st and 2nd but I think it's negligible.  I do have to say that my clutch
may have an impact on my opinion because I have the SPEC Stage 3 clutch and
it does grab quickly, so that makes it hard to modulate also.  I still think
the heavier flywheel would be better for 90% of the time.  I do autocross my
car and people tell me that the flywheel will help in autocross because it
revs a little quicker, but the last autocross I did, I don't remember my car
being under 3000-4000 rpm on any part of the course.  Not even on the start,
because I usually rev to 3000-3500 and drop the hammer and modulate the
clutch to keep the tires right on the edge of spinning or slightly spinning
until it hooks up.   Maybe I'm wrong and it helps a bunch, but I just can't
tell.  On the positive side, I do like when heal/toeing the downshifts the
car does snap to rpm a little quicker.  Takes a little getting used to
because you can easily overshoot your downshifts, by revving the too much.
I'd say it's one of those mods of personal taste.  Doesn't hurt, but doesn't
necessarily help a lot.

Will Lewis
91 white 64k(for sale)
95 mtx/red 82k