[Shotimes] ATX symptoms (semi OT)

Adam Parrott Adam Parrott" <parrotta@usa.net
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 02:39:32 -0600

Joseph,

Since the ATX will be getting swapped out in a few months anyways, I would
just do as Robert suggested and try a fluid and filter change.  At the very
least, is /may/ help with the shifting problems that you're experiencing.

It definitely sounds like there is more than one internal problem with the
tranny right now (being a SLO AXOD and having 115k on the clock, I wouldn't
doubt it), though any theories I have would only be guesses.  :)

Adam

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Bruce" <rbruce@bellatlantic.net>
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 3:59 PM
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] ATX symptoms (semi OT)

If the fluid is burnt, the damage is already done.  The patient is on
borrowed time.  Change the fluid/filter and maybe add some Lucas trans
additive.  You may make a few days or weeks, but months are not likely.

A few key elements will make the next trans last a lot longer:
1) Make sure a Transgo kit is installed to the new/rebuilt trans.  Be sure
to verify that the entire Transgo conversion is done as some shops just do
a partial kit install.  I can send you the Transgo instructions so you can
familiarize yourself with the process.
2) Add a big oil cooler to the system.  The wagon takes a lot more
horsepower to move it at a performance level similar to the sedan.  You
will need all the cooling help you can get in the summer.  You may even
need to consider a separate electric fan to supplement cooling.
3) Add a temp gauge to the trans pan.  I silver soldered a bushing to the
side of the atx pan for the sender.  The sender conveniently doubles as a
drain plug for future fluid changes.  Silver solder works fine since it has
a 375 deg F melting point.  If the atx fluid gets hot enough to melt the
solder, the trans has already burned up anyway.

Robert Bruce
93 atx