[Shotimes] JBL in a wagon

George Fourchy krazgeo@jps.net
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:30:59 -0800

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:28:33 -0600, van Oss wrote:

>I've checked the 95 brochure and it's not clear on this point (duh).  Was
>JBL available on wagons?  If so, did they have a subwoofer amp and where in
>hell would the subwoofer be?

Subwoofer in a wagon....I do not know.   Also, again, my experience is with Gen 1
cars.

Slorider has 'premium' sound.  Lowrider had "JBL' sound.  The full range amp for
premium sound is in front of the spare tire well (left side), mounted on a brace
under the plastic interior piece just below the fixed rear window.  That's a great
place to mount a 'real' amp, to run the aftermarket rear (or all) full range
speakers and sub that would go in the floor.  To play the rear factory speakers with
an aftermarket head unit, you have to bypass the amp.  Crutchfield has a small
harness to do that, as do probably many larger stereo shops most everywhere.  You'd
rather have JBL than premium sound, because the plugs are easier to deal with behind
the radio where you plug the modified (you do it with a soldering gun) aftermarket
wire harness plugs into the factory loom.  JBL uses two similar gray rectangular
plugs, while premium sound uses one gray one for the power, and a square, smaller
black one for the speakers....much harder to plug up.  (at least on my car)

When I get given some money....yeah, sure....I'm going to get a single 5 channel
amp....Alpine makes a good one, and put it back there by the spare tire, and wire
all the speakers from it.

George