[Shotimes] Re: Park vs. Forward (was Autolock and MTX)

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 07:38:18 -0600

Forgot one very interesting fact on the Chevy Turboglide
with the PNDGrR format:

Gr stood for Grade Retarder as mentioned, but when the cars
first came out, the joke was that people were using Gr as a
"low" gear and using it for the drags, thus, the joke that
people thought it stood for "Go Racing!"

Due to the fact that two of three torque converters were
reversed when in Gr, it would do severe damage if ANY power
were applied when in this gear, it was ONLY for slowing down
on VERY steep hills.

I had one of these and even in the steepest part of the
hills in the Black Hills of South Dakota, I had to be going
no faster than about 30 mph when applying the Gr.  Then the
car would come almost to a halt very quickly.  I then had to
go into drive to about 40 mph and the use thebrakes (if any
were left) to get back to 30 and go into Gr again.  Not a
very good set-up.

for flat land use though, the Turboglide was a delight, if
not the most efficient transmission.  Due to so many people
destroying the tranny by using Gr as a low gear, the tranny
got a reputation for being fragile, but the opposite was
really true.  As long as you didn't accelerate in Gr, the
tranny was almost indestructible.  One veteran mechanic
remembers GM techs bringing the cars to dealerships to train
mechanics in how to not only repair the tranny, but train
the staff on how to USE the tranny.

In one demo, they would take off and race away from a stop
to about 30 mph or so and throw the tranny into reverse and
boil the tires till the car was going backwards at a high
rate, then throw it into forward and do it all over again.
After a few minutes of this torture, they would put the car
on a rack and pull apart the tranny and see that zero damage
had resulted.    TRUE!

But the tranny was discontinued after being offered for just
three years, 1957, 58 and part of 59.  A few still exist,
many were replaced with the almost equally tough, and much
simpler and harder to destroy by accident..Powerglide.

Don Mallinson
More history than many of you may want but still interesting.