[Shotimes] Re: Park vs. Forward (was Autolock and MTX)

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:24:01 -0600

Carl,

The Turboglide was really not very well known, so few people
would have probably been reluctant to use low gear because
of the problems with that tranny.  Chances are your father
was one that was told another bit of auto lore:

Brakes are designed to slow down a car and motors to make it
go, let each do their own job and the car will last longer!

Of coures with drum brakes (and mechanical brakes before
them) lower gears had to be used in cars as well as trucks.

Funny how some habits happen though.  Here is another:

I had a good friend that would never use the heater all the
time in the winter.  He said the car would get better gas
mileage if he kept the heater off.  Well, I knew better than
that, even when I was 15 and 16 years old.  But a bit later,
I found out WHY my friend probably felt that way.

His father obviously grew up driving cars that had the very
good, but fairly rare optional heater system that used
gasoline in a heater inside the car!  So you had a FIRE
inside the car in a little space heater before good hot
water heaters were common.

Thus turning off THAT type of heater DID save fuel,
especially during the depression, my friends father probably
wanted ever drop of fuel saved, and comfort was secondary,
so he taught his son to do the same, even though hot water
heaters have zero (or near zero, the fan pulls some juice
and thus a tiny amount of drag via the generator/alternator
on the motor) effect on fuel mileage.

So as Paul Harvey would say: Now you know the rest of the story!

Don Mallinson