[Shotimes] OT - Preload on a LSD

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:45:05 -0500

Sounds like its a real clutch diff.  IPT advertised their diff as one,
but the clutch faces were the actual diff housings.  A real one has many
plates with different textures on each side.  Depending on what side the
disks are touching eachother on, they grab eachother with the aid of the
diff fluid and prevent slipping.  Many aftermarket diffs for RWD imports
and some domestics are like this.  If you can buy new clutch disks for
your car, it might be a pretty good idea, just remember they do need to
be rebuilt after a certain amount of miles (~50k), but it depends on the
use it gets.  Research it some more first and make sure thats actually
what you are getting, and check and see what the actual diff life is and
how frequent the clutches need to be replaced and rebuilt.

Bill Murray

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul L Fisher [mailto:sho@paul-fisher.com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 10:23 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net; v8sho@v8sho.com
Subject: [Shotimes] OT - Preload on a LSD

OK. My Jetta TDI has a LSD but it is very lightly set, something like
2%.
There are kits available that change the shims so that you can bump it
up to
40% or 80%. I am thinking of doing this but I don't want to toast my
diff.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this how the Phantom grip
works?

Thanks!

Paul L Fisher

---