[Shotimes] RE: transportation to CA Conv. via truck info

Kirk Doucette Kirk.doucette@verizon.net
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:58:19 -0500

Yes I will win the Long distance award finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       Don
this award is only awarded to someone that drove it right? Not trailered.

Clare, now try this one..

Spencer Ma to Ft Worth Tx
Ft Worth TX to SF

Kirk J Doucette
NESHOC President
Stormtrooper-97 White

-----Original Message-----
From: casholdn [mailto:clare_ca_1999@yahoo.ca]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 4:46 PM
To: Donald Mallinson
Subject: Re: transportation to CA Conv. via truck info

u missed where i said oops
I missed the both way thing
and his was a run that goes from the Toronto Auto Auction to Alberta dealers
with vehicles then brings back cars from out west to here.
Here is london ont
3129 miles away from where he bought is car
I checked at it is over 4000 miles from spencer MA to SF, Cali.

Donald Mallinson <dmall@mwonline.net> wrote:
>> pirce seems steep
>> A buddy
>> had his 71 442 shipped from AB to here for $600 cdn
>> I take it from the capacity of 10 cars that your guy is an open trailer??

Not knowing where "here" is it is hard to tell. But there
is more than just taking a car from point a to point b.

In your buddies case, he probably had to accept the shippers
schedule, and he was just one car on a transport making a
route one way. WE are going BOTH ways, and you pay by the
mile BOTH ways, that makes your buddies trip $1200 canadian
if he was doing the same thing we are.

We are talking something totally different, and the price
STILL isn't that much more.

First, we are going to hire the entire truck (yes, open
transport, a closed unit won't haul near that many and is a
LOT more money). We are not hauling $250,000 exotics, just
a bunch of old (if nice and valuable to the owners) Four
door sedans. The driver assures me he stays with the load,
parks in safe zones, and although the cars will get dirty,
it is no worse than they got when shipped brand new.

Second, we are asking them to pick up the same load and
bring it back four days later. In this case, the truck will
probably just sit idle unless they get lucky enough to catch
some local work while in SF before bringing the load back.
They can't keep the truck busy every day.

Third: The shipper has to meet OUR schedule.

I would love to have the price under $500 American like we
speculated last year at the convention, but it seems that
isn't possible.

But if your buddy will give us the name of his shipper,
maybe that shipper will be cheaper. I would welcome that
kind of information/help so ask him and pass it back to me
if you can.

Don Mallinson

casholdn wrote:

> Donald Mallinson wrote:
>
> I have been doing more research into transportation of SHO's
> to the California Convention.
>
> I found an outfit that can pick up just about anywhere on
> the east coast, and along I-80.
>
> Cars picked up on the east coast would cost about $1000 per
> car round trip, and cars farthur on down the line would be
> somewhat less expensive. Maybe cars from Illinois would be
> $800? I have gotten this type of quote now from about four
> different companies, so this seems to be about the best,
> unless someone has an in with an outfit.
>
> This latest bid is from a trucker that owns an SHO, and he
> may stick his on as the 10th car (he can get 10 on total)
> and join us at the convention.
>
> Question is: Are there nine people out there willing to pay
> up to $1000 to get their car to the convention and back?
>
> feel free to reply to me off-line, although, this IS ON
> topic for once! :)
>
> If we don't get at least 6 people willing to put down a
> deposit for this service, then I am going to let this topic
> die, and if others can find a better deal, then they can
> pursue it.
>
> Don Mallinson
> SHO Clubals.yahoo.com/>

Clare 96 TR V8
"who cares and reads what as done to it"
London, ON
www.v8sho.com
www.shopower.com

  _____