[Shotimes] hi-watt headlamp bulbs

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 21:46:30 -0600

Someone on the list once raised a concern about hi-wattage headlamp bulbs
(usually 80 or 90 watt low beam, 100 watt high beam) not being compatible
with the size of the contacts on a 9007 and 9004 bulbs.

My winter 91 has been running hi-watt 9004 bulbs (90/100) with a home-made
relay harness.  Recently, one lamp became dim, not off, but dim (both high
and low beam).  Turns out that one terminal is scorched, both on the bulb
and on the socket.

I put hi-watt bulbs into this car because it is a winter car often driven in
poor (that's saying it nicely) conditions.  (George, you'll just have to use
your imagination.)  And I do intend to replace the socket and resume running
hi-watt lamps.  I will put a little electrical grease on the contacts just
in case corrosion (again, George, use your imagination) was a factor.  But I
like the higher output too much to put in ordinary bulbs.

Just thought I'd offer this to the community FWIW.

VO