[Shotimes] ATX Flex-pipe leak

Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com Mike.Wojton@us.o-i.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:51:28 -0500

Clamping just makes it easier to change them again later.  If you have
to.  After cutting and rewelding a couple times you'd end up having to
add material so everything will go together again.  On the other hand,
welding is the best way to avoid exhaust leaks.  Assuming a competent
welder, of course.

Mike Wojton
Toledo, Ohio

-'95 White MTX
   '96 Brake Upgrade

"Avoid the clap." - Jimmy Dugan

shotimes-admin@autox.team.net wrote on 02/10/2004 10:34:05 AM:

> Okay, so I searched the Forum and there are a number of people using the
generic flex pipes from
> JC Whitney (and wherever).
>
> Guess all I need to know is what size (diameter, body length, overall
length) I need.

> Also, these appear to come with clamps.  Is this a reliable way to
connect exhaust pieces or
> should the entire system be welded?
>
> Also, if exhaust parts can be clamped, is there any reason mufflers
can't be clamped on in a
> similar fashion?  I just assumed exhaust parts were always welded
together.  Shows how little I
> know about exhaust!
>
> Oh, and any special tools recommended to cut exhaust tubing?  Or do I
just have at it with a hacksaw?

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Steve Tatro
> Red/Black '93 with 175k miles
> Monroe, Ohio
>
> -- Steve Tatro <stevetatro@netzero.com> wrote:
> Well, my leaky exhaust turns out not to be the flange gasket, it's the
flex pipe itself.

> Local Car-X said it's an expensive piece, about $225 for the part alone.
 They'll install it for
> next to nothing, so I'm out the door for $250ish.
>
> They also mentioned my mufflers (original, 11 years and 175k miles old)
are finally starting to