[Shotimes] ATX Flex-pipe leak

Paul Nimz pnimz@v8sho.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:56:14 -0600

JC Gipme also sells the flanges to weld to the front of the  flex pipe.  The
rear can be then be welded or clamped for a do it at home experience.

Paul Nimz
'97 TR
'93 EG mtx

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Tatro" <stevetatro@netzero.com>
To: <stevetatro@netzero.com>
Cc: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] ATX Flex-pipe leak

> Okay, so I searched the Forum and there are a number of people using the
generic flex pipes from JC Whitney (and wherever).

> Guess all I need to know is what size (diameter, body length, overall
length) I need.

> Also, these appear to come with clamps.  Is this a reliable way to connect
exhaust pieces or should the entire system be welded?

> Also, if exhaust parts can be clamped, is there any reason mufflers can't
be clamped on in a similar fashion?  I just assumed exhaust parts were
always welded together.  Shows how little I know about exhaust!

> Oh, and any special tools recommended to cut exhaust tubing?  Or do I just
have at it with a hacksaw?

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Steve Tatro
> Red/Black '93 with 175k miles
> Monroe, Ohio
>
> -- Steve Tatro <stevetatro@netzero.com> wrote:
> Well, my leaky exhaust turns out not to be the flange gasket, it's the
flex pipe itself.

> Local Car-X said it's an expensive piece, about $225 for the part alone.
They'll install it for next to nothing, so I'm out the door for $250ish.

> They also mentioned my mufflers (original, 11 years and 175k miles old)
are finally starting to rust through.

> They carry Dynomax mufflers, so I may just have them installed ($60 each
labor included).

> Any ideas how I might save a bunch of money on a flex pipe?  $225 seems
like highway robbery for a flexible piece of pipe that has no purpose other
than to provide some "slack" in the system.