[Shotimes] R-1 bf goodrich

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:32:45 -0600

Don,

I have tried R-1 autocross tires, and they are just not
designed to have superb traction in a straight line!  May be
better than cheap H rated winter tires, but not by a lot.

You need to get a dedicated drag radial, and decide which
size if any will work.  Most tires available, that I have
seen, will be either way too big, or too small.

Probably better to go bigger (tall) than shorter.

I have found that launch rpm of about 2500 works better for
me.  A little bog has been better than going up in smoke.

Best launch is to slip the clutch at the limit of traction
to keep the engine from bogging, but then you need to own a
clutch factory and have a few mechanics on retainer so you
don't get worn out from replacing the clutch every other event!

Remember Bobbym Brannon using slicks?  And busting trannys!

Don Mallinson