[Shotimes] radiator

George Fourchy krazgeo@jps.net
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:16:30 -0800

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:08:08 -0600, van Oss wrote:

>Out in front of the AC condenser is a U-shaped tube with rubber hoses
>connected to it.  It seems to be for cooling, although it's bare tubing with
>no dissipating fins on it at all.  If not tranny cooling, then what is the
>purpose of this tube?

That's the tranny cooler, actually half of it.  Follow the lines to be sure...one
end should go to the radiator cooler, which is what those two brass fittings are
for.  The only automatic Taurus I have is the Slorider wagon, which does not have
this feature.  But the basic routing for the tranny cooler system is forward from
the tranny to the driver's side radiator support, at the bottom, then across it
under the radiator to the cooler fittings on the radiator.  An extra loop out in
front of everything would be easy to add, by just extending one of the cooler lines
out in front of the a/c compressor before it goes into the raidator.

You might need to cut one of the rubber connector hoses in this congomeration of
metal and rubber tubing.  In all the ATX radiator cars I have put new radiators in,
it was necessary to cut the line somewhere downstream from the radiator to make it
possible to GET TO the fittings on the radiator itself.  They are SO hard to get to
that they must be removed from the old one and put on the new one outside the car.
I'd remove the radiator with a foot or so of coolant line dangling from it, and swap
the short part to the new radiator outside the car, then connect the cut rubber hose
to the in-car portion of the line after it was installed and fastened down.

YYMV

George