[Shotimes] brakes

Steve Tatro stevetatro@netzero.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:43:00 GMT

Kristen,

There's a few things to consider.

First, the right tool can sometimes make all the difference.  AutoZone "loans" a caliper piston tool.  $35 deposit (IIRC) and you get the entire deposit back when you return the tool.  It makes the turning and pushing much easier.  Note that you do have to TURN the rear caliper piston while you push, unlike the front caliper pistons.

Second, as you try to compress a caliper piston, you're trying to send brake fluid essentially the wrong way.  That fluid has to have somewhere to go!  I like to open the bleeder screw on the caliper I'm working on.  This of course requires some brake bleeding before it's all done, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Another trick people use is to lower the wheel you're working on.  If the back end is jacked up higher than the front, the rear brake proportioning valve will not allow the fluid to pass by (either direction) and so, again, there's nowhere for the fluid to go.  I've never gone this route, but some people swear by it.

Third, you could have a frozen piston.  It's rare (by comparison) but does happen.  If you see rust/corrosion on the piston or if you see cracks in the boot surrounding the piston, there is a possibility you could have a physical problem with the caliper.  Luckily replacements are cheap!

I suggest you get the proper tool, open the bleeder, and have at it again.

Good luck.

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 175k miles
Monroe, Ohio

-- Kristen <blukorn22@yahoo.com> wrote:
I have been trying to change the rear brakes in my 94 SHO, but I can not get the pistons to push in.  I read about the break maintenance on the site, but it did not help.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what else I can try to push the pistons back in?

Thank you,
Kristen