[Shotimes] Re: Bought a '99!

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:06:07 -0600

Bob,
In general, the V8 cars are a couple tenths slower than the
V6 automatics and a couple more slower than the MTX V6's.
But there are a few V8's in the 14's that are mostly stock,
so there are exceptions.  As a rule though, most V8's are
mid to high 15 second 1/4 mile cars.  Plenty fast for what
it is.

For me it isn't about the raw speed, it is about overall
competence and then there is that delicious sound.  The V8,
even totally stock has a built-in growl that is fascinating.
  When you add some exhaust and intake volume it is even better.

The car handles differently than the V6 cars, it is hard to
put a real handle on it, but it seems like the V8 rotates
around a tighter central axis in corners than the V6 cars.
Not saying that the V8 handles better overall, but the
"feel" is just slightly different to me.  I have two V6 MTX
cars and then my 96 V8. I love driving all of them.

The maintenance part has been covered pretty well already,
we are just now getting into the high mile era of the V8,
and so far it is maybe a bit better than the V6 overall for
types and numbers of failures (not counting cams).

Don Mallinson