[Shotimes] RTV on ATX pan gasket?

Robert M. mysho93@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:06:41 -0800 (PST)

The main reason I have used RTV was mainly to hold the gasket in place while you were putting it on, so it will not get into the inside of the pan. You all know how those gaskets come out of the box!! If you are using the metal/rubber gasket, there should be no need in putting on RTV, IMO.

matt S <poissonverte2@hotmail.com> wrote:LOL...

I had my tranny pan off, not much in there exciting. I was expecting to see
gears and valve bodies etc etc.. anyways.. I reinstalled a new cork gasket..
No leaks so far been a year.

matt

>From: "bjshov8"
>Subject: Re: [Shotimes] RTV on ATX pan gasket?
>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:14:23 -0600
>
>I remember when we didn't have RTV, and our gaskets worked fine.
>

> > And he is right. RTV isn't necessary. Are you replacing it with a cork
> > gasket or a metal gasket?
> >

> > > I'm doing filter&gasket on an ATX. Is it wise to apply a little RTV
> > the
> > > gasket? The gasket I removed did have RTV applied. However, a local
> > > car-parts store owner (whom I respect) says no, if any RTV got into
>the
> > > vavlve body it would be curtains for the tranny.

-Robert Miller

-93 Black on Black MTX SHO, 130k, NEEDS A CRANK OR NEW ENGINE!
-90 Red on Black 5.0 Mustang LX, Hatchback
-81 Doodoo Brown Fairmont Wagon, (SOLD Finally!!! $170!!)