[Shotimes] Re: Speaking of Trannys

fwhittle@mindspring.com fwhittle@mindspring.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:16:19 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

My original tranny had a sporadically rough 1-2 shift right from when I got it at about 27,000 miles, similar to what you're describing, but no rhyme or reason to it.  I could be accelerating smoothly and it would shift hard.  My new tranny (FPS and installed at 117k) does just what you're describing.  I really notice it in stop and go traffic, when I start to accelerate, then let off.  I hope it's nothing to worry about.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX

From: Rick5638@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:23:59 EST
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Speaking of Trannys

I've got a 95 ATX SHO, approx 116k on the car and not the original owner so I
don't know if the trans has been replaced or rebuilt before. I experience a
firm, really firm shift situation from 1st to 2nd gear shifts if I accelerate
hard off the line then back off before the car shifts to 2nd. Is this a common
problem or could I have the problem?
The reason it hasn't really concerned me is because during normal driving, it
shifts fine and smooth through all the gears. Push button overdrive works
fine, tranny fluid is clean and it downshifts properly when I nail it. Its just
the hard to moderately hard acceleration from a stop then getting off it a bit
before it shifts to 2nd, is when I feel an abnormally hard or firm shift.
Anyone able to shed some light on this? I've put 4k miles on it doing this with no
changes it shift behavior at all.

Thanks Rick