[Shotimes] Re: Shotimes digest, Vol 1 #3246 - 13 msgs

MonsieurBoo@aol.com MonsieurBoo@aol.com
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:00:12 EST

PNimz:  "This is a lightning detector card, very proprietary.  I just got a
new computer with no ISA slots and the last one I had didn't have any either.
I do have an old crapper bell 486 that I can use for this particular card.  I
paid mucho bucks for the card and it's software and would like to use it
again."

Paul, you should have said so right from the start.  The extra pins on the
end of your card are just the auxiliary antenna connections.  That card was
cleverly designed to use the groundplanes of the PC motherboard as a flat plane
antenna.  You can simply cut all those pins off flush so you can shoehorn the
card in there.

Now go call Fitz and order one of those SHO CLOCKSPRINGS, solder the leads on
one end to the traces on your Bobbitted card, then unwind it out the window
to its full 8' 10" length and nail the far end to your eaves.  This will
actually improve your sensitivity and directionality considerably, being that it's a
premier Motorcraft product.

But seriously buddy, here's a quick jaunt in a different direction than the
previous suggestions.  Howzabout a nice, fully portable ISA card to USB hookup?
 These fellas have a range of offerings, this one being a single-card
solution:

http://www.arstech.com/usbisa.htm

Price $100 and up, not too bad for a niche product like this.  YMMV Warning:
Note the programmers' aids they make available on their site.  This "MAY" not
be a plug-n-play deal for a custom card like yours.  But to go retro,
sometimes ya gotta make a great leap forward.  Happy hunting for those sferics,
tweeks & whistlers!

Cheers,
Mark LaBarre
94 ATX 125k

PS - Those lightning detectors can be real lifesavers when you kill the
lights and engine and roll into the driveway at 0200 Saturday.