[Shotimes] hub failure

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:47:08 -0600

Something new (to me at least) today.   91 SHO, 150K, got a new front right
wheel bearing and hub about 25K ago.

Noises coming from under the car sounded like a worn bearing.  Lots of play
in the RF wheel, both 3/9 and 6/12 o'clock.  Got the thing apart and
discovered that the bearing itself seems to be fine.

But the hub shaft was shattered.  A crack ran all the way around, and it's
dirty, so it's been there a while.  Tapping on the hub with a hammer to get
it off the driveshaft, it broke completely off.  The splined area remained
in the bearing.  I could see a bunch of cracks running parallel to the
splines.  When I tapped the rest of the splined part out of the bearing, it
came out in about 10 pieces, no more than 1/2" wide.

I am thinking that the cause of the damage was a curb incident that happened
this winter.  ("It was a dark and stormy night...")

The bearing feels smooth.  Should I replace it anyway, figuring that
whatever shattered the hub might have damaged the bearing also?

Joseph van Oss