[Shotimes] (semi-OT) frost plugs

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:48:02 -0600

Questions about frost plugs.  Strictly OT because it's a 3.8L/AXOD.  This is
a 94 wagon that I bought for conversion to 3.2L SHO engiine with MTX.  While
I'm accumulating parts, I'd like to keep the car driveable.  It came with
three of the four frost plugs replaced with rubber temporary plugs (two
front, one rear, one factory cap still in place in rear).  Much leaking.  I
plan to replace them with "real" caps that press in.

The front ones seem easy enough.  (One is an easy straight shot; have to
drop the Y-pipe to get to the other one.  It's just work.)

The rear one looks like a bitch.  I'm planning to drop the oil pan to get to
it.  Can't get my fingertips or a wrench near it.  Here's why:  It's about 1
inch from the tranny housing.  Gawd knows how I'm going to pound in a new
plug.

I bought steel plugs at a local store.  They have a rounded lip, in contrast
to the factory cap with a straight "side wall."  Are they going to leak on
me?

Any other advice?

Joseph van Oss